The contributions that a Senior Manager, Benefits Consulting (Micro & Small Group) makes to Northwestern Benefit is to lead, coach, guide and develop the people in the department, enabling them to retain Northwestern Benefit clients in the Micro & Small-Group markets. Micro is defined as 2 to 15 enrolled employees, with less than $5,000 in annual revenue. Small Group is defined as 16 – 35 enrolled employees with $5,000 to $20,000 in annual revenue.
The Senior Manager is a Subject Matter Expert for the Benefit Consultant (BC) role and a role model to BC team members. This position manages and supervises Micro and Small-Group Benefits Consultants and oversees the normal functions of the department, to include strategically planning and executing program renewals and implementations.
The Senior Manager is responsible for the training and performance evaluation of each team member. Responsibilities of the role include interviewing, hiring and on-boarding team members, assigning and managing work, providing formal and informal feedback, rewarding and coaching team members, addressing complaints and resolving problems. This position assists in designing, documenting, and implementing new or revised processes to increase efficiency and effectiveness.
The Senior Manager provides an optimistic and supportive climate for motivation to the team and empowers the team to create flexible and collaborative relationships with internal staff, carriers and employers to meet departmental objectives. The Senior Manager carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Northwestern Benefit’s policies and applicable laws.
1. Understands thoroughly and stays knowledgeable of micro and small group health & welfare benefits, including plan designs, legislation and emerging trends. Shares this knowledge with others at Northwestern Benefit.
2. Effectively leads the team to retain Northwestern Benefit’s book of business. Meets or exceeds departmental retention goals.
3. Acts intentionally to retain clients.
a. Works consistently to build client rapport and trust, which includes phone calls and possible on-site visits.
b. Understands thoroughly the expectations of the client and consistently meets those expectations through viable solutions.
4. Communicates with team members and other departments regarding vulnerable clients, lost groups, key contact turn over and case transition.
5. Assists teams in strategically planning and executing program renewals and implementations.
6. Acts as a point of escalation for team members. Partners with carrier, client, and internal leadership to quickly resolve complex issues.
7. Manages capacity and workload of the team. Prepares and forecasts for future growth and needs of the team.
8. Promotes positive carrier and vendor relationships.
9. Responsible for the ongoing recruitment and hiring of team members.
10. Tracks and measures team member performance to organizational goals and expectations.
11. Creates or modifies processes and procedures to create efficiency.
12. Implements strategy and processes within the department.
13. Effectively trains and coaches team members to succeed in their roles.
14. Positively influences the team members; uses the Collaborative Way effectively to mediate concerns; exemplifies the Northwestern Benefit Tenets; offers encouragement and praise; builds good working relationships.
15. Uses tools and systems (e.g. Zywave, MS Word, Excel, etc.) to enhance the job. Updates systems, creates e-mail groups for fast and efficient information dissemination.
Reporting & Accountability:
A. Reports to: Sr. Director of Consulting (interim); then Vice President of Consulting
a. Manager of Micro-Consulting (1)
i. Benefits Consultants, Micro (2) - Indirectly
b. Benefits Consultants, Small Group (5 - 7)
Knowledge/Experience Required to Achieve the Objective(s)
1. A minimum of five (5) years of significant health & welfare market experience in a consulting, account management or an equivalent role is required.
2. Knowledge of the micro and small group health & welfare market is beneficial; the ability to learn the field quickly is essential.
3. A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience is required.
4. An earned and maintained Georgia Accident, Sickness and Life License is required.
5. Prior Supervisory or Management experience is preferred.
6. Applicable professional designations (RHU, REBC, CEBS, etc.) are preferred.
Skills/Abilities Required to Achieve the Objective(s)
1. Leadership skills and experience.
2. An excellent communicator (listens, speaks and writes well).
3. Highly organized and process driven; he/she can manage a multitude of requests, details and follow-ups (including paperwork).
4. Manages numerous simultaneous projects efficiently and effectively.
5. Operates well in a fast-paced, energetic environment and welcomes change.
6. Contributes to and flourishes in a team environment. Works effectively with other departmental leaders to achieve organizational objectives.
7. Models and exemplifies the Northwestern Benefit 25 Tenets. In all things, seeks to behave in a personal, consistent, and reliable manner.
8. MS Office to include Excel, Word, PPT, OneNote, and Outlook 360. Knowledge of Zywave products to include Brokerage Builder preferred.
Physical Requirements/Miscellaneous to Achieve the Objective(s)
1. A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation are preferred, as there are occasions where visits to clients and carriers are necessary.
2. The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; and extensive reading. The position is sedentary in that it requires sitting or standing in one place most of the time. Walking is required only occasionally.
Assessment Tool(s) used for this position:
The Harrison Interview Questionnaire
This position description is not intended to be all-inclusive, but to provide a general scope of the position, outlining the primary responsibilities, reporting structure, and knowledge/strengths/abilities required to succeed. It is not a contract.