The contribution that a Benefits Enrollment Specialist (BES) makes to Northwestern Benefit (NB) is to retain clients by increasing the client’s value-added dependency on NB, through processing all lines of client’s enrollments, terminations and eligibility changes both through paper applications and/or electronic application. It will be critical for the BES position to create flexible and collaborative relationships with internal team, carriers and employers in order to meet the position objective.
II. Position Responsibilities
Self-assign BKB eligibility activities.
- Process all incoming enrollments, terms and change forms, including quality review for document accuracy and completion. After quality review, BES will go online to each carrier and/ or enrollment platform to enroll and /or terminate coverage accordingly.
- Contact applicable employer to obtain any missing or incomplete information and/or seek clarity.
- Notify any COBRA administrators of terminations and/or other COBRA qualifying event updates from the client.
- Update BKB with eligibility information in the Notes Section of each assigned activity.
- Scan and save all enrollment forms in BKB under the applicable client’s files.
- Manage BKB eligibility activities to closure within the standard 5-day turnaround.
- Communicate clearly and thoroughly with NB team members and /or clients.
- Investigate and resolve eligibility errors. Escalate any possible technical issues.
- Serve as the back-up to other Benefits Administration team members including but not limited to bill audit, creating and /or auditing open enrollment and new hire kits and enrollment forms.
- Reports to: Senior Manager, Benefits Enrollment
- Supervises: None
IV. Knowledge/Experience Required
- At least 1 year of industry experience, including insurance, carriers, benefits, human resources, broker/agent, and/or benefit eligibility software applications.
- Data processing experience preferred.
- High school diploma, minimally. College degree and any other professionally-related designations are preferred.
V. Skills/Abilities Required
- Accuracy, focus and a great attention to detail and execution.
- An inquisitive nature, always pressing to know more and understand more about the client and his/her needs.
- Technology savvy, having a curiosity and propensity to learn more about computers and other tools that make business more effective and productive.
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills enabling one to gather data and present in a clear and understandable method to the receiving audience.
- An excellent communicator (listens, speaks and writes well).
- Highly organized and process driven; he/she is able to manage a multitude of requests, details and follow-ups (including paperwork).
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel, Outlook, and Word.
- Can model and exemplify the NWB 25 Tenets.
VI. Physical Requirements/Miscellaneous
- There are no physical requirements for the position.
VII. Person Description
Assessment Tool(s) used for hiring in this position:
Harrison Personality Test
Describe the ideal person: (personality, behaviors demonstrated, characteristics/attributes, etc.)
The best profiles for this position tend to perform in a consistent manner, demonstrate patience, develop specialized skills, objective thinker, have a desire to help others, and are be good listeners. In addition this profile pays attention to directives, standards, and details; they think analytically, are diplomatic with people, using subtle or indirect approaches to conflict; they check for accuracy and use systematic approaches to situations or activities. This profile is extremely curious and creative.
This position description is not intended to be all-inclusive, but to provide a general scope of the person and the position, outlining the primary responsibilities, reporting structure, and knowledge/strengths/abilities required to succeed. It is not a contract.