Benefits Administration Coordinator
I. Position Summary
The contribution that a Benefits Administration Coordinator (BAC) makes to Northwestern Benefit (NWB) is to retain clients by increasing the client’s value-added dependency on NWB, through the normal functions of a Benefits Enrollment Specialist such as processing all lines of client’s enrollments, terminations and eligibility changes both through paper applications and/or electronic application. In addition to the normal functions of a BES, the Benefits Administration Coordinator will also be a dedicated support for the client for enrollment & eligibility issues and projects. The BAC will manage multiple benefits administration processes as designed by NWB and the client. The BAC will work directly with the client on designing and documenting benefits administration processes and revising existing documentation when necessary.
It will be critical for the BAC position to create flexible and collaborative relationships with internal staff, carriers and employers in order to meet the position objective.
II. Position Responsibilities
Manage and process all incoming enrollments, terms and change forms, including quality review for document accuracy and completion. If documents are incomplete, BAC will call applicable employer/employee to obtain information and/or seek clarity. After quality review, BAC will go online to each carrier and/ or enrollment platform to enroll and / or terminate coverage accordingly.
BAC will be responsible for notifying any COBRA administrators of terminations and/or COBRA qualifying event updates from the client.
BAC will scan and save all enrollment forms in Zywave under the applicable client’s files.
Successful electronic processing will require accuracy, focus and a great attention to detail and execution.
Communicate clearly and thoroughly with NWB employees and / or clients.
Audit Enrollment Error / Discrepancy reports for clients who utilize electronic enrollment platforms. Resolve errors and escalate any possible technical issues.
Be a Subject Matter Expert and assist with configuration and updates within multiple Benefits Administration platforms.
Manage multiple Benefits Administration processes including but not limited to:
- New Hire Reminders to employees and/or the client
- Reviewing and approving QLE’s in clients system
- QLE follow up with employees and/or the client
- Dependent verification
- EOI follow up with employees and/or the client and approval’s in clients system
- Review and resolve electronic file error reports
- Flex and COBRA audits
- Creating and managing reports in client’s and carriers systems
- Defaulting coverage for new hires
May perform other projects or duties as assigned.
- Reports to: Manager, Benefit Administration
- Supervises: None
IV. Knowledge/Experience Required
- At least 3 years of experience related to our industry, including insurance, carriers, benefits, human resources, broker/agent, Technology field, Data Processor, electronic software applications.
- High school diploma, minimally. College degree and any other professionally-related designations are preferred.
- Benefits Administration experience preferred
V. Skills/Abilities Required
- An inquisitive nature, always pressing to know more and understand more about the client and his/her needs.
- Technology savvy, having a curiosity and propensity to learn more about computers and other tools that make business more effective and productive.
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills enabling one to gather data and present in a clear and understandable method to the receiving audience.
- An excellent communicator (listens, speaks and writes well).
- Highly organized and process driven; he/she is able to manage a multitude of requests, details and follow-ups (including paperwork).
- Can model and exemplify the NWB 25 Tenets.
VI. Physical Requirements/Miscellaneous
- There are no physical requirements for the position.
- Driver’s license and dependable car in order to accommodate some travel to client’s locations.
VII. Person Description
Assessment Tool(s) used for hiring in this position:
Harrison Personality Test
This position description is not intended to be all-inclusive, but to provide a general scope of the person and the position, outlining the primary responsibilities, reporting structure, and knowledge/strengths/abilities required to succeed. It is not a contract.